WANG FENG QIN: I used to live in the countryside, there was a mountain behind our house. Working on a farm is pretty hard, so my parents were very busy and didn’t really have time to look after me. I always helped them with their work. I would take the cattle out and feed them. There was always some heavy fog in my hometown. I had to take out the cattle in the morning, around 7 or 8 o’clock, and I couldn’t see very far ahead so I was scared. The mountain was very quiet and that raised fear in me.
    When I was very little, I visited my grandfather’s place very often. After my classes at primary school I would go there, always alone. I was about 7 or 8 years old. Sometimes my classmates came with me, sometimes I went on my own. There are lots of graveyards along the road, quite scary. My grandfather died when I was 7, he was the one who liked me most. I always dream of his warm smiling face and that gives me a very warm feeling. He liked me very much.
    I had this dream when I was about 10 years old. I dreamt it was evening and I was cleaning the classroom. All my classmates went away and I was the only one left. Then I went to the mountain alone, but I got lost halfway. I couldn’t find my way back, no matter how hard I tried. I took the same road that I used to when going to my grandfather’s, I thought I knew it really well. Finally I got so worried that I started to cry. Then my grandfather appeared, he was calling my name. He asked me why I hadn’t come back home yet, it was late already. I said: “I don’t know why, but I can’t find the way back.” In fact, I couldn’t see anything in front of me, so my grandfather led me to my house. After a while we arrived and then I woke up.
    I would always take the same road to the mountain when taking out the cattle. Sometimes I would go out in the evening, always in the summer, and come back around 7 or 8 o’clock. I used to visit my grandparents’ place very often. They also had to work very hard on their farm, so my parents often went to help them. They wouldn’t leave me alone at home so I always went with them. If you walk really fast, it may take half an hour to get there. It was more difficult to walk when it was raining, then it would take about 40 or 50 minutes.